Thursday, July 31, 2008

"Roasted" vegetable sandwich

So I'm a bit impatient (lazy) when it comes to cooking at times. Unless properly motivated I will avoid firing up the oven if I can help it. The hot summer months also help to deter use of the apartment heater that is the oven. This brings me to making dericious "roasted" vegetable sandwiches. I love to make (and EAT) sandwiches. Most times they end up being so packed full of dericious goodness that they barely fit into my food hole. This sandwich, although vegetarian, was to be no different. [ Note: the photo to left was taken previous to over-stuffing the sandwich with lettuce shreds ] In avoidance of using the oven, I opted to use my handy Foreman grill to do the "roasting". I've had the thing since college and it has not failed me yet.

The ingredient list is not exclusive and can include whatever vegetables suitable for grilling that you happen to have in your refrigerator. I happened to have another eggplant (love 'em) and squash. I also have an out of control sweet Basil plant growing so I tossed some fresh leaves in with the roasted vegetables.

The recipe below will make 3 decent sized sandwiches.

Ingredients:
  • 1 Eggplant (Asian), diagonally sliced
  • 1 Squash diagonally sliced
  • 1 Onion sliced to rounds
  • 6 White mushrooms, sliced
  • several leaves fresh Basil
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • dash Salt
  • dash Pepper
  • splash Balsamic vinegar
  • dash Garlic powder
  • dash Crushed red pepper

  • French bread sliced in half lengthwise
  • 1 Garlic clove cut in half
  • Pesto sauce
  • Mayonnaise

  • Cheese slices (Parmesan)
  • 1/2 Tomato sliced
  • several leaves lettuce thinly sliced



Directions:
  1. Slice all vegetables (except tomato) to large bowl. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper. Mix well to coat veggies in mixture.
  2. Place the vegetables on heated Foreman grill in batches and cook 3-4 minutes per side
  3. While cooking vegetables, heat a pan large enough for French bread slices. When hot, place bread crust side up in pan to lightly toast inside. When the inside of the bread becomes stiff, rub the bare Garlic clove over the inside of the bread and return to pan. Repeat once, then lightly toast the outside of the bread on the pan, and continue for all slices of bread. (I usually sliver off the used garlic ends before repeating the rubbing process)
  4. Lightly spread pesto sauce and mayonnaise on inner slices of bread.
  5. Layer lettuce, roasted vegetables, cheese, and tomato slices inbetween the bread slices and enjoy!


Tips for a tasty sandwich:
- Don't be stingy with the cheese.
- Thinly sliced lettuce adds more texture to a sandwich than large slices
- If lettuce is soaked in ice cold water for several minutes before use, the leaves will be extra crisp.
- The flavors in this sandwich are delicate so resist slathering on the mayo

1 comment:

dericious said...

My first comment... It's from ME!! I found an awesome Chicago cooking enthusiast that runs blogging contests and has cooking events at her home (found on Chicago meetups). I've submitted this recipe to her blog in hopes of being a featured summer produce recipe. Her blog can be found at http://joelens.blogspot.com/