Sunday, September 14, 2008

I <3 breakfast: Kahlua-Bailey-Oreo pancakes!


also, Strawberry-blueberry-Grand Marnier compote


Breakfast seems to be one of those things that I can cook well on a consistent basis. Eggs, bacon, sausage, breakfast sandwiches... all delicious and easy. But such things get boring over time.

Most food I cook is simple and free of excessive preservatives. I tend to shy away from mixes and pre-packaged goods but they do come in handy from time to time. Today I wanted pancakes (a rare event, really). Unfortunately I was a bit short on milk. The pancake mix package required 3/4 a cup of milk but I was closer to an amount between 1/2 and 2/3 of a cup. Improvisation time. Rather than give up and cook something not requiring milk, I accepted the challenge and consulted my cupboard stock. I happen to have and enjoy many different kinds of liquor. Alcohol is one of those things that you can incorporate into breakfast and it's "classy". Try to mix alcohol into your lunch and you're considered borderline alcoholic. ha! jk

In place of milk and optioning not to water down my pancakes, I went forward with 1/4 cup of Kahlua and a splash of Baileys. If your math is good or you've been paying attention you'll notice that I added more liquid than the mix recipe required. I have a heavy hand... what can I say? I did, however, compensate for the overpour with addition of more pancake mix. Having gotten into the creative spirit, I decided to crush a handful of Oreos (3, reduced fat cookies if it matters) and toss them into the mix. The result was absolutely wonderful! I had a strawberry and blueberry compote hiding in the freezer that was itching for use. A quick defrost, a dollop of whipped cream, and my meal accompanied with a cup of coffee became complete.

All of the alcohol cooked off and the Oreos added a subtle hint of chocolate without going too far over the edge of dessert-like breakfast like chocolate chips could have.

Onto the pancakes...

  • 1 1/4 cup pancake mix
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup Kahlua
  • splash Baileys
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • 3 crushed Oreo cookies
  • butter for keeping the pan stick free
  • optional: whipped cream

  • Strawberry & Blueberry Grand Marnier Compote
    • handful (about 6) of strawberries (frozen or fresh)
    • 1/3 cup blueberries
    • 1 cup orange juice
    • 3/4 cup sugar
    • 1/2 cup Grand Marnier
    • 2 Tbsp corn starch


In a large bowl, mix the pancake ingredients. Be sure to smooth out any lumps using a large mixing spoon.

Heat a fry pan over medium heat and melt a thin layer of butter in the middle.

Pour a 6 inch (or smaller) circle of pancake batter over the butter in the pan and let sit.

After about a minute, give the pan a good shake to see if the bottom of the pancake is cooked and releases from the pan. If so, slide your spatula under the pancake and flip. Cook until upon poking the pancake, the top springs back without indentation. Remove pancake from pan and set aside.

Repeat step above until all batter is used.

( I bet that if I had a large griddle, or was more efficient on the stovetop, I'd be able to speed the process of cooking pancake breakfasts. )

To make the compote, add the orange juice and sugar to a medium sized pot.

Bring to a boil, then add the fruit and Grand Marnier. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the fruit to soften and begin to break down.

Mix the corn starch with a small amount of water and add to the pot. Simmer until the desired consistency is produced.

Remove from heat and allow to cool before use.

The amount of compote made will definitely leave you with a good amount of leftovers. I put my leftovers into a container and stored in the freezer for future uses (such as this one).

Enjoy your breakfast with a dark cup of coffee.

It's dericious!

No comments: