Saturday, September 13, 2008

Things I do with SPINACH


Spinach is one of those things that can either be really good or really bad. So far I've come across two preparations of spinach that are quick and dericious. I've also created my own spinach dip of sorts that may be saved for another post. My simple preparations of spinach are described below. The first is something quick I use to accompany a meal that requires vegetables to "round out the table". The second is a tastier version similar to the spinach that can be found in the Korean market with the serve yourself kimchi and other side dishes.


Easier than easy spinach.
  • 1 bunch of spinach or whatever amount you have on hand
  • 1 Tbsp of butter
Melt the butter in a pot. Add spinach to the pot. Allow the spinach to cook down (about 4 minutes). Serve! Now that's easy!!!


Easy spinach
  • 2 Tbsp Sesame oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • bunch of spinach
  • 1 tsp Sugar
  • salt to taste
  • sprinkle toasted sesame seeds
Heat sesame oil in a pan. Add garlic for 30 seconds or so to bring out the flavor. Add the spinach, sugar, and salt. Allow the spinach to wilt. Sprinkle sesame seeds on your finished dish. I've used this recipe to emulate the spinach from the Korean market with pretty good success. I've not had the patience to not eat it right away so I cannot comment on how it tastes cold, but I love it hot.

When cooking spinach, I try to be careful not to overdo it. There is a fine line between cooked spinach and overcooked spinach. Overcooked spinach lacks texture and falls apart when poked with a utensil. I like when my spinach retains some texture and bite.

No comments: